21 January 2009

Putting Out Fires

Lots happening at the same time at work today. Can't really get into anything specific. But I'm proud of one activity today. This is something my coworkers (the medical nutrition therapists) at Sunrise Hospital will appreciate. ICU called asking if we had methylene blue (I knew it was going to go into a tube feeding). I asked who it was for and said that it was contraindicated in a patient with sepsis. The nurse said "uh oh, I'll check with the docs". An hour later the ICU doctors came to my office and explained. They were worried a patient had a perforation in the bowel and the copious peritoneal output included tube feeding formula.

If you are a dietitian or medical nutrition therapist, do you know the solution I came up with?


.
.
.
.
.

I suggested the use the glucometer. It registered "Lo". If there had been formula, it would have shown a glucose level higher than 20 mg/dl. Everyone happy! Well, except for the patient (but this patient is sedated & medicated so the patient shouldn't be in pain).

----------------

Tonight in the Rec Center it is DJ Nite. Really Loud Music (and no one started dancing for the first two hours). But it's REALLY LOUD. I think next Wednesday night I'm going to stay at the hospital and volunteer to help out at the CASF (Contingency Aeromedical Staging Facility). I will be helping out a very important mission. And I'll bet it's much quieter.

No comments:

Post a Comment