20 January 2009

Hail to the New Chief

Dozens of us sat in the Rec Center, all three tvs getting the ABC feed through Armed Forces Network. I chatted in IRC with friends from all over the US and Canada during the festivities and after. I don't know why, but I did get goosebumps when they showed President Obama walking down the red carpet towards the podium.

Lots of headlines expected in the next 100 days as new policy is made and new orders are signed. Before you ask, it's not going to have much affect on our mission here in Balad. This hospital is going to be here for years. There are just not enough Iraqi healthcare providers yet.
-------------------------------------

This morning, for the first time in a very long time, I actually slept until my alarm went off. I was slow to get up and dressed, and was feeling very sluggish all day. Did manage to get my 30 min on the elliptical today, but it didn't help much. I know it's going to take a few more weeks to see some improvement in fitness, and put the spring back into my step. And I still have the Balad Crud (sore throat and runny nose) to look forward to (usually happens the end of the second week here).

Did I mention that yesterday I met the base commander at the Change of Command? Brig General Bishop. Seems like a nice person. Asked if I was adequately prepared for the deployment, if the base was what I thought it would be like. I answered that I was fortunate to have good intel prior to my arrival, and that it's much nicer than what my husband had last year in Afghanistan. I hope I didn't sound like a fool.

Tomorrow is my first meeting with the new EMDSS (Squadron) Commander, Col Dietz. I already like his Superintendent, MSgt Harrington. And I have to bring my shot records to the clinic, someone at Nellis forgot to upload my second Anthrax so my name is on a list as being overdue (but in reality my next shot is not due for another 5 months).

No comments:

Post a Comment